Friday, February 29, 2008

Penn State Experience at the 2008 PCMA Annual Conventin

Three years ago, when I stepped foot into the Philadelphia Convention Center for the 2006 PCMA Annual Meeting, I never thought five days would change the rest of my college career. As a freshman at Penn State, I came home from the convention counting down the days until graduation. I had found my true passion, the events industry.

Beyond discovering my passion, PCMA has also allowed me to develop personally and professionally. My networking skills have improved drastically and my confidence has grown significantly. Those skills are reflected in interviews, group work, internships, classes, and my personal life. Penn State’s curriculum only has two classes devoted to event planning, so the educational aspect of PCMA has given me knowledge I otherwise wouldn’t have exposure to.

During the recruitment of students, I always try to convey how important this organization is to me. I try to explain how spellbinding the Annual Convention is in every aspect. Penn State ended up sending twenty students to the 2008 Annual Convention in Seattle, and I couldn’t be prouder. We represented ten percent of the student body, the second largest population (second to a school that was driving distance).

Tuesday night in Seattle, our group was sitting around a table and we all shared about our experience with the convention thus far. Each first time attendee radiated passion and gushed about how grateful they were for joining PCMA. It literally brought tears to my eyes because they finally got it; they finally understood the passion of the industry and the importance of PCMA.

After returning to State College, that energy is still high within the group. We have numerous guest speakers planned and students begging to get more involved. Individually, students are continuing to build their network and are seeking more opportunities for education. Our professors are more than impressed with the organization and the students, calling us a “model student organization” with “first rate” educational programming. We as an organization look to those compliments with gratitude, yet also use them to raise the bar of excellence.

On behalf of PCMA Penn State, I would like to thank you all. Your hospitality and willingness to help foster our education is why we’re able to be successful. You, the people, are what make this industry amazing, so from all the students I express my deepest gratitude.

Ashley Akright
Secretary
PCMA Penn State

[Ashley is the 2007 winner of the Greater Philadelphia Chapter PCMA Student Scholarship]

No comments: