Thursday, September 11, 2008

Q&A with Kristina Kollock - University of Delaware Chapter President


I had the opportunity to sit down to chat with Kristina Kollock, the incoming President of the University of Delaware chapter of PCMA, about her internship and plans for the UD Chapter. Kristina participated in a great internship over the summer with Planning Factory International, and will be continuing to work with them throughout the school year.

Belinda: So what have you been up to all summer, Kristina?

Kristina: This summer I did take a few trips to the beach, one to Wildwood, NJ and a few to Rehoboth Beach,DE for a few long weekends. I also went on a Disney Cruise with my family, highly recommend by the way!!

This summer , I also had the opportunity to participate in an internship with Planning Factory International in Wilmington, DE. This destination management and corporate planning company is a well-known company that creates stunning events. With event planning in my future, I was thrilled when they asked me to work for them and I gladly accepted. This has been a great experience and I have learned so much about the industry in such a short period of time.

Belinda: What was your experience like upon starting and what projects did you work on with the Planning Factory?

Kristina: In May, when I began the internship, it was their busiest time. I was thrown into a new job and had to quickly acclimate myself with the office and the tasks at hand. Immediately, however, I felt welcomed and found that being forced to do things that I had never done actually made me learn faster and better. For example, ordering linens and décor for a number of events from many different vendors and suppliers was at first intimidating because I had no idea of the variety that existed of sizes, colors, and designs. I found myself stepping up and making important decisions that honestly, I didn’t feel I should be making, but due to the busy time, it had to be done.

Belinda: How has this experience helped you along your path to find a career?

Kristina: These pressuring times only helped me to learn and in the end made me a better intern. I was able to gain respect from the event planners, as well as, trust. The staff knew they could rely on me in times of need to complete the tasks at hand. Every day is a learning experience and I love going to work knowing that no two days will be the same. I have been challenged this summer, but have had the opportunity to work with an experienced and successful team. I look forward to working with them throughout my senior year and building my character for the future.

Belinda: So, what are your plans for the fall?

Kristina: As the fall school year begins, I will take what I have learned from my experiences at Planning Factory International and apply it to my new role as President of the University of Delaware student chapter of PCMA. With new ideas and strong leadership skills, our club will be active on campus and try to involve and show students what PCMA is all about. This year, our club plans on attending the PCMA Annual Convention in New Orleans, LA, as well as, host our 7th Annual PCMA Roundtable event, and our 2nd Annual PCMA Social. We also plan on getting more involved with educational events on campus and even creating our first student website.

Belinda: Sounds like a full agenda. Tell me a little bit more about the events your chapter is planning.

Kristina: Last year, we successfully fundraised and held our First Annual PCMA social. This was a great hit among the students and was very successful. It was a great way to get PCMA members and non-members from our major together to network, have fun, and raise money for our trip to Seattle. We also hosted our 6th Annual PCMA Roundtable event, during which we hosted 10 industry professionals from the surrounding areas. At this event, the students had an opportunity to network, ask questions and learn about a variety of jobs that are in the industry and the opportunities that are possible.

Belinda: What are you goals for the University of Delaware Chapter of PCMA this year?

Kristina: I look forward to growing and strengthening the membership of our club with the help of my Vice President, Stefanie Kahn, and Faculty Advisor, Brian Miller; as well as, making students better aware of PCMA and how rewarding it is to be a member of such a prestigious association!

Belinda: So, one last question: Do you like red sauce or green sauce on your enchiladas?

Kristina: Red sauce on my enchiladas haha!

1 comment:

University of Delaware said...

We have a few college students online from University of Delaware and we love your blog postings, so well add your rss or news feed for them, Thanks and please post us and leave a comment back and well link to you. Thanks Jen , Blog
University of Delaware