Thursday, September 11, 2008

Student Panel Participant at PCMA Leadership Conference


Sitting in the Biltmore Bowl where Shirley Temple once accepted an Academy Award, the tables were turned as I was mentoring industry professionals. PCMA sponsored my trip to the Los Angeles Millennium Biltmore Hotel for the annual PCMA Leadership Conference. I was selected along with three other students to participate in a Reverse Mentoring Session.

PCMA’s Leadership Conference is a two day program designed for senior leadership who want to expand their skill set and emerging leaders who wish to gain tools for success. The setting is very intimate compared to PCMA’s Annual Meeting therefore the attendees are all a close network. Sessions focus on leadership development, motivation, personality types, and innovation. Attendees are challenged to step out of their comfort zones and learn more about themselves and those around them.

Reverse Mentoring was a two step process, starting with breakfast on the first full day. I was pre-assigned several mentees who joined me for breakfast and conversation about Generation Y. Contrary to what I’m used to, I was leading the discussion while industry professionals where taking notes. Mentoring in this new position helped me grow and develop my own leadership skills while giving my mentees tools to use in their companies. During the second step of the process, my mentees presented and discussed what they learned from our discussion. During their presentation to the general group, there was opportunity for questions and additional discussion.

Once again PCMA has provided me with an amazing educational and networking experience. The Leadership Conference is unlike any other PCMA event I’ve attended, and I plan to attend in the future after graduation. I was so privileged to attend this conference with so many great professionals as well as provide learning opportunities for them about my generation.

Ashley Akright
Vice President
PCMA Penn State Student Chapter

No comments: